There is no better food than breast milk for a baby’s first year of life! Since a major goal of the WIC Program is to improve the nutritional status of infants, WIC mothers are encouraged to breastfeed their infants.
Breastfeeding provides many health, nutritional, economical and emotional benefits to mother and baby.
- Protects your baby from illnesses such as pneumonia, colds, viruses and gastrointestinal chronic diseases
- Reduces risk of your baby developing chronic diseases
- Can protect your baby from developing allergies
- Lowers your baby’s risk of SIDS
- Fewer problems with weight for you and baby
- You burn LOTS of calories!
- You heal better post-delivery
- You have a lower risk of postmenopausal osteoporosis
How does WIC help me breastfeed?
- WIC mothers who chose to breastfeed are given information through counseling and breastfeeding education materials
- Breastfeeding moms receive follow-up support through peer counselors
- Breastfeeding moms are eligible to participate in WIC longer than non-breastfeeding moms
- Moms who exclusively breastfeed their infants receive a bigger food package
- Breastfeeding moms can get breast pumps, breast shells or other nursing tools to help support the initiation and continuation of breastfeeding
How will I feed my baby?
An informational session where you learn about breastfeeding in general and what to expect.
1337 S. Cesar Chavez Dr
Milwaukee, WI 53204
Monday: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Tuesday: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Wednesday: 9:30 AM – 6:00 PM
Thursday: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Friday: 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM- Limited availability on Fridays-please call after 7:30 a.m. for same day needs.