Healthy Choices and Latinos por La Salud are partnering with AmeriCorps Farm to School Program to enrich the connection communities have with fresh, healthy food and local food producers by changing food purchasing and education practices at schools and preschools.
Healthy Latino Schools | Changing the Way we Connect with Food
Sixteenth Street Community Health Centers has been educating and inspiring hundreds of adults and children in the near south side of Milwaukee to improve their weight and overall health. We are now partnering with the AmeriCorps Farm To School Program to expand the work we do in schools to promote healthy eating and living.
Farm To School works closely with local farmers to bring fresh food into the cafeteria or as a classroom snack. Students participate in educational activities related to agriculture, food, health or nutrition; and school gardens provide hands-on learning and physical activity.
Kids Visiting Farms
- To further build collaboration and relationships with farmers, we will be taking ﬁeld trips with students to local farms! Here they can experience the labor and love behind their food!
Local Foods Build Community
- We are building relationships with local famers to bring healthy, fresh, local produce into your school classrooms! We will be working collaboratively with: Pete’s Farm, Walker’s Square Farmer’s Market and CORE/El-Centro.
Healthy School Food Policies
- Kids and teens eat a large portion of their daily calories in schools. In order to create a new culture for healthy eating many schools in the country have developed and implemented food policies that limit unhealthy options while promoting the healthy ones. We are working with eight latino schools in our neighborhood to improve the food options for snacks, celebrations and fundraising events.
*See our BROCHURE for more information
- In Class Lessons
- After School Program
- Family Nutrition Program
- Cooking Lessons
- Gardening Activities
In 2017 we are working with the following schools:
- Notre dame Elementary School
- Greenfield Bilingual School
- St Anthony School
- Nativity Jesuit Middle School
- Alba Elementary School
Healthy Choices Office Location:
1032 S. Cesar E. Chavez Drive
Milwaukee, WI 53204
Contact Tatiana Maida for more information:
(414) 897-5187 or tatiana.maida@sschc,org